All the information listed here is based on my own experience, please carry out your own research before attempting to replicate anything on this site.
It's been a busy couple of weeks; I've demolished part of my reptilarium, installed new parts, downsized feeder colonies, and planned new expansions!
The demolition started with the tearing down of my indoor green houses. This might seem a strange concept to some, but they essentially formed an insulated shelving unit to keep some of my tropical species, and by hanging one heatpad inside, I was able to heat 5 shelves worth of tubs!
However, despite their functionality, they were pretty ugly metal frameworks with a plastic cover, and I jumped at the chance to replace them with a nice little wooden growhouse this week. The new one isn't as big, so I've had to downsize some Cockroach tubs, but it does suit the room a lot better. Being wooden with polycarbonate sides, it should be just as good at insulating, if not better.
I also spent some time taking some new footage of my Bullsnake (Pituophis catenifer sayi) for the Youtube channel. It's just a short feeding clip, but hopefully will give some insight into dealing with the species for anyone thinking of getting one.
I thought I'd throw in a quick picture of my Axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum) in a spare tub during cleaning time. I've had this big guy for nearly 3 years now, although he came to me as an adult so I'm not sure exactly how old he is.
As always, if you have any questions feel free to send me an email using the link below!
I've got all my fingers and toes crossed this week, but hopefully it'll all turn out well!
Firstly, the new Bulrush/Reedmace (Typha latifolia) stems I planted in my Red Eared Slider habitat are growing rapidly in the warm water, just outside of the reach of the plant-destroying turtle. I've been trying these out to replace the Pickerel Weed that I was having great success with until it unexpectedly started to perish. The stems are native to the same regions of North America as the Red Eared Slider, and are currently growing at a couple of inches a day. Hopefully I'll be able to post some updated pictures of the tank next week, assuming they don't grow through the roof!
My second attempt at planting my Columbian Rainbow Boa enclosure seem's to be holding for now, with one plant being a very tough Bromeliad, and the other being a Peace lily (Spathiphyllum wallisii) which is supported by a large branch. Both species are tough tropicals native to the Americas, but no doubt the snake will find a way to ruin them both.
Finally, what I had planned to show off a rather fantastic pair of Bristlenose Plecostomus' (Ancistrus sp.) that I picked up a few weeks ago, however being quite sneaky fish I've yet to get a decent photo of them! I did however spot a rare livebearer species (Red Tailed Goodeid - Xenotoga eiseni) whilst browsing the local fish shop, and couldn't resist picking them up too. They're quite bumbly looking fish, and the shop only had a pair for sale, otherwise I would have bought a decent size group, but they're charming none-the-less.
If you have any questions, don't hesistate to send me an email using the link below,